Hipster?(!)

Q: Is it true that since you've started a blog you'll become a Hipster like Aaron Newton?

A: No.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The older I get, the newer I feel.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know that quote might sound dumb, but I really do feel that way. For the short 17 years that I've been alive, only a handful of those actually mean something. I mean let's be serious when your five you don't exactly have life changing thoughts. Like those thoughts that you have that just really make you rethink life. I've had that a lot lately. And all of my thoughts are provoked by some form of art. Books and Music. Not so much art art that you think of. But the number one thought provoker is books. I've resently been on a book reading frenzy. I really only read modern classic books. When I read/listen to something that makes me think, I think about that one quote/lyric for days.
The Bell Jar: This book is almost my life to the very point. Almost everything that Ester had gone through I could relate. I knew exactly what she was think and how she was thinking. I've felt the feelings she had. Ester loves baths. And I do too. We both forget the world in the tub. People used to make fun of me for how much I loved baths. But I didn't care. I can't even begin to say how much I feel like Ester Greenwood/Sylvia Plath. When I finished that book all of my memories from having clinical derpession came back. I literally went back to where I was before. But, it was beautiful. I know you're like, "Liz, WTF?" but it really was beautiful. That book moved me so much. It's probably a tie with my other favorite book. Which is...
The Perks of Being a Wallflower: This is adolesents. This is something that everyone goes through. The whole book is the story of everyones time during high school. It's beautifully written and it tells a true story. The main guys name is "Charlie" he doesn't actually tell you his real name because this is supposed to be like he is sending you these letters in person. It's like a diary. But there is this one phrase that has just stuck with me. "And in that moment, i swear we were infinite." I want to feel infinite. I want the joy of being able to feel like I could go on forever. I want simplicity. I want chaos. I want it all.
Lime Tree by Bright Eyes: This is my song. End of story. No not really end of story. But this song describes my life. Maybe two things are off, but everything else is there. The whole song makes me think. I only ever listen to this song what I feel like actually thinking. The way Conor (the singer) thinks is like the same way I think. I can't even express how much I love this song. It's my favorite song ever. Listen to it sometime. It's beautiful. But the quote that pretty much sums up my life is at the very end. "So pleased with a day dream/now livin's no good." Quote of my life. That whole song is just full of quotes that make me think. Seriously. This ain't no Taylor Swift bullshit.
Franny and Zooey: I think 99.9% of people (the 4 friends that read this) don't even know this book. It isn't popular. It's not a classic. but it is written by a well loved author (J.D. Salinger. I love this guy. A lot. I literally cried when he died my freshman year. Most people were like, "Who?" when i told them. IT'S THE DUDE WHO WROTE A CATHER IN THE RYE!) Anyway. (See what I did there?) When I first read this book I was like cool cool cool. Religion. (that's what it's about. But it's really good and interesting!) the whole thing makes you think about your religion and then in the middle Zooey (Zooey is a HE! Zooey is a nickname for Zachary. Also Zooey Deschanel was name after him! Cool right?) but he said something that really just hit me, "I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody." I'm the same way. I just can't be a nobody, I have to be great. And I wish I could just be a nobody. I really do. When I first read that quote I didn't even have to analyze it. I knew exactly what it meant, and that it would forever be a part of my life. I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

So those are only like 1/128468214 (not really) of my thoughts of what has really impacted my life. Maybe I'll make more if people want them. Also I barely went into detail on this one. If I did it would be very, very long. i missed some books and songs, but whatever. I'll be going then. I have APUSH. Damn you, American history for being so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment